Although a knocked out tooth can strike fear in the hearts of children and parents alike, an estimated 5 million cases of knocked out teeth are successfully treated in the United States each year. Most of the time, the tooth can be saved if you stay calm and follow this process:
1. Retrieve the tooth: Locate the tooth, and gently pick it up by the chewing surfaces. Do not touch the root.
2. Rinse the tooth: Use plain running water to rinse away dirt and debris. Do not use toothpaste or any cleanser, and do not rub the tooth.
3. Push the tooth back in: If you can get the tooth back in its socket, push it in gently and have your child use her tongue to keep it in place.
4. Keep the tooth damp: If you cannot reinsert the tooth, either have your child hold it between the cheek and gums, or gently place it in a glass of milk. Never submerge a tooth in water, as you could damage the root.
5. See the dentist immediately: After a tooth is knocked out, you have 30 minutes to reach the dentist for the best odds of saving the tooth. It is worth trying after as long as an hour, but the odds drop significantly after 30 minutes.
Conveniently located in Woodbury, MN, Creekview Dental provides a progressive yet conservative approach to dental care. Our innovative, highly personalized procedures are focused on maintaining tooth structure and providing you with the healthy, beautiful smile you deserve. Call us today at 651-738-8204 to take the first steps on the road to better dental health.